Sunday, May 26, 2013

Post hundo recovery

Today was my first real run following last weekend's 100-miler (Massanutten). I went out for an enjoyable 60+ min afternoon run in the local forest near my house. The weather had finally dried out, it was about 60 degrees and breezy. Perfect.  It felt good to get back on the trail and stride out, nice and easy.

I am amazed after running such a distance like 100 miles how quickly the body bounces back, and to reflect back on the human body's ability to even withstand that distance in the first place.  I feel pretty recovered now. My toes aren't that numb any more, mostly I feel that in the morning, and though I can tell there is some fatigue in my legs, it's not bad at all. I felt pretty spry out on the trail

I have 3 weeks to get ready for a 50 mile race (TARC 50/100 in Weston, MA), which I'll use as part of my training for the Vermont 100. Not sure how much racing I'll do in it, but we'll see. It's a night race so that'll be interesting.

During the run this afternoon I found myself thinking about this blog and what a better name might be. I decided on "Well Rounded Endurance". It seems to fit since for me, there's not much room for over emphasizing one thing - between my busy job at an academic medical center, related professional activities and career pursuits, being a husband and father to 2 toddlers (and #3 only 4 weeks away!), and then the running I try to do.  Sometimes the endurance aspect of all the activities just seem to blend together as additional training - there's no daily nap and twice or thrice weekly massages for me like the pros enjoy.  And I guess there very few real professional ultra runners (e.g., Kilian) anyways, but several of them are what I call NSNKNW (No Spouse, No Kids, No Worries).   But I'm not complaining.  I still remember picking my son up and carrying him across the finish line of a 50 mile race I was able to win a couple years ago. He surely had no idea what was going on, but I was thrilled he was there and we got to do that!  I think that only if I'm well rounded in my approach to training, recovery, and overall life balance will my running be effective and still enjoyable. I like to compete, but it's also got to remain fun for me since running is both an outlet and a competition.  I would be disappointed if the fun were to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment